No matter where the team went during their 2018 trip, they were generously fed by Russian members. Here is a small taste of the local cuisine we thought will tickle your taste buds and make you want to take it to potluck.
Russian Carrot Salad
- 2 cups of carrots, grated
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 1–2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4–1/2 cup of mayonnaise or substitute
- 1/2 cup of croutons
Mix items together and serve chilled.
Sveta’s Russian Borscht
- 3 quarts of water
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, diced
- 2 medium-sized beets, shredded
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Salt to taste
- A handful of dill, minced
- Pinch of cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed
In pot, boil potatoes for 15 minutes. In pan with a little oil, sauté beets, onions, carrots, peppers and garlic. To pot of potatoes, add cabbage, tomatoes, salt, dill, cardamon, celery seed and sautéed items. Simmer until vegetables are cooked. Serve and enjoy. If desired, drop a dollop of sour cream in each bowl.