Pasco Riverview Celebrates 100 Years of Service
The Pasco Church celebrated two major anniversaries the weekend of Oct. 19–20, 2007—100 years of ministry in Pasco and the 50th year at the present location.
In 1907, Brother John Luther and W. W. Stewart conducted the first recorded evangelistic meetings in Pasco. They were warned that Pasco would be a very difficult field to work. It was a strong Catholic center and a railroad town. The workers found that to be true, but still the church made its start.
A small company of eight members met in various churches for a number of years before purchasing a little church owned by the Baptists for $300. Membership continued to grow, and in 1941 construction began on a new church building. Their first church school was started in the basement of the church. As the group grew, so did their need of a bigger facility. In 1953, members purchased 2.5 acres of vineyard, and a new church building project began. The late Norman Bowker was the church building foreman. The church was dedicated on Oct. 19, 1957.
Over the years there have been 12 pastors and 11 interns who have served the congregation. The Pasco "mother" church has planted five "daughter" churches in the area—the Richland Church, Country Haven Church, Kennewick Church, Ephesus Church and the Pasco Spanish Church.
Doug Johnson, Upper Columbia Conference executive secretary, gave the Sabbath message "God's Leading." Four former and two present pastors assisted during the weekend. A reunion of the singing group, The Impacts, which was formed under the leadership of Ralph Martin, the pastor then, presented a Sabbath afternoon concert. The Tri-City Men's Chorus gave a Friday night concert. It was, indeed, a high Sabbath with approximately 500 in attendance. Former members came from as far away as Thailand, Hawaii and the East Coast.