Medford Church Marks 100 Years
The Medford Church marked a major milestone on Dec. 1, 2007, celebrating 100 years of service. The day featured George Knight, professor, who taught a dynamic Sabbath School lesson, and Bruce Johnston, retired North Pacific Union Conference president, who told an engaging children's story and gave a brief history of the church. Steve Bartley presented a slide show about mission service to the countries of India, Nepal, Peru and Belize. Rogue Valley Adventist School bell and concert choirs provided inspiring music, and Floyd Bresee, elder and Valley View Church interim pastor, presented the thought-provoking message.
One hundred years ago, the church began quietly in the kitchen of W. L. Black, an Adventist minister from Arizona. The founders began conducting evangelistic meetings, resulting in the organization of 14-members. It was soon necessary to move from the kitchen to a lodge hall and storage building on East Main Street. Eventually, a church was built on North Riverside Ave. in 1908. Unfortunately, this church burned down in 1925. Members met in a Methodist church while building a new church on the corner of Edwards and Beatty streets in East Medford. The church continued to grow and, by 1954, the search for a new location resulted in the present site. On Aug. 6, 1960, the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary. Over the past 47 years, the church has expanded and grown in building size and membership. An addition now houses the Community Services Center and access pantry on the lower level and the kitchen and fireside room on the upper level.
Outreach programs include youth activities, study and prayer groups, and mission trips by church members and students of Rogue Valley Adventist School. The Medford Church continues to grow, and God is blessing it with new members and friends.