Mortgage Shredding at North Cascade Church
The North Cascade Church members joyfully shredded their mortgage during a special dedication service on Sabbath, Sept. 6.
Construction began on the present church building in 1997 on five acres just east of downtown Burlington, Wash. Sabbath worship services began a year later in the newly completed structure. Five years later, the loan was completely paid off.
Several former pastors and conference members took part in the services. Phil White, who is now pastoring in Calhoun, Ga., had a major role as the pastor when the transition was made from Sedro Woolley to Burlington. He worked right along with all the other members during the construction and, in the process, created a very entertaining video of the building process. The construction manager, Tex Ladish, was already an Adventist and decided to stay on and join the new church along with his wife Alline and their two sons.
The congregation dates back to 1896 in Sedro Woolley, just a few miles east of the present location. A small church was constructed in 1913, and a larger one was built in the same town in 1948.
The current pastor, Gary Fogequist, has been at the church for four years. He and fellow pastor Pat Grant continue to lead an active church in reaching the community for Christ. Recently the church instituted a second Sabbath service to better provide for the many people that attend each week.
Through the many outreach activities that are planned each year, the congregation continues to fill both the church and the school with people seeking a fuller relationship with Jesus Christ.